Internal - Current Students

MSW with Licensure as a School Social Worker

Students in the M.S.W. program interested in practicing as a school social worker can elect to earn the Massachusetts state license to be a School Social Worker/School Adjustment Counselor, the certification required to work as a clinical social worker in many school settings.

Requirements for the M.S.W. with Licensure as a School Social Worker/School Adjustment Counselor Include:

  • Sixty-three credits in the MSW program and three required courses (eight credits) taken in the Simmons University Department of Education
  • Successful completion of the two SSW field placements; one placement must be in a school setting and one placement must be in a setting serving children and families
  • Attainment of passing scores on the MTEL Communication and Literacy tests by completion of the first year of MSW study.

Students planning to work toward the school social worker license should schedule a meeting with the Coordinator of Academic Services or with the Assistant Dean soon after acceptance into the MSW program to begin to plan a course schedule. Field placement planning should be guided by licensure requirements.

More information on Licensure and Courses:

Program plan for students beginning in Fall 2013 or after: